As August comes to an end it is time to get ready for back to school and all that comes with it. Mornings are generally a rush to get out the door and most families don’t have time for a sit-down breakfast. Of course, we all want our kids to eat healthily and have the brainpower and energy for their day at school( that way they can become a doctor, president, astronaut or whatever they can dream up!).
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase. All opinions are my very own and I never share anything that I don’t use and love! This is at no cost to you and allows me to stay home with my babies! Thank you!
For us, I would let my little one sleep as long as possible, then get her dressed and plop her in the car. Breakfast on the go was a better option for us as we commuted to work and daycare( “J” was still only 1 and needed lots of sleep). My growing little future world leader still needs a great breakfast to power up her day and to be honest I needed it too.
So, we rounded up the best breakfast ideas we could find on Pinterest and would make and freeze them on the weekend. Now I want to pass on this awesome list of breakfast on the go ideas for your little brain surgeon!
Here’s the list!
- Ham Quiche Cups from The Dinner-Mom – These are great little ham,egg and cheese cups that freeze and reheat really well. Lots of protein and the eggs for brain power! Plus they are simple to make and kid-friendly.
- Breakfast Sandwiches from The Busy Budgeter – A classic go to that is kid friendly because you can choose to put on what they like. Freeze and reheat well and quickly. We like to use whole wheat English muffins on ours and turkey sausage, turkey bacon and ham.
- Buttermilk Banana Bran Muffins – These are the best muffins to eat cold! I love them just barely thawed! We keep them in our regular rotation to keep fiber in the diet and keep my little ones from getting constipated.
- Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos from The Country Cook – What makes these burritos so great are how versatile they are! You can put anything in them…sausage, bacon, ham, peppers, onions, potatoes, cheese, eggs, avocado. Sometimes we throw in leftover taco meat or spicy chorizo too! Whole wheat tortillas are a better option to keep it full of fiber and healthier.
- Kid Friendly Berry Spinach Smoothies – I am a bit of a smoothie junkie( and I might be a little terrible at eating my veggies like I should, don’t tell anyone okay?). These smoothies are full of veggies, low in sugar and high in protein. A full meal in a cup! I love them and my kids love them! Fast and easy to make. We even make little packets to throw in the blender to make life faster and easier.
- Potato and Omelette Breakfast Bites from Ella Claire Inspired – These little to go bites are so yummy! A full breakfast in one small size! They freeze and reheat very nicely and are another one where you can choose your ingredients to your liking.
- No-Bake Energy Bites from Gimme Some Oven– These are a great healthy and super easy and fast to make option. They are sweet and have chocolate chips so the kids love them and they hide chia and flax really well. This is a mom food I feel good about eating and good about feeding to my kids!
- Oats and Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies from Food, Pleasure and Health – When fall rolls around all I want to eat is pumpkin everything. These cookies are healthy and delicious! Easy to make too! The kids gobble them up as fast as I do.
Other quick and easy on the go options!
- Hard boiled eggs
- Fresh fruit cut up in small pieces
- Squeezable yogurts
- Squeezable applesauce
Eating on the go can still be healthy and not processed with a little prep work. Honestly, most of those recipes are pretty quick and easy and you can make a few weeks worth at a time. If you make it you will eat it is what I always say!
Keeping the car clean on the go!
Little kids are seriously the messiest eaters on the planet. I swear half of the food they have never makes it into their little mouths. My car has to be cleaned out on a regular basis or we get weird smells( yuck!).
There are a few things that I have learned are a must have for eating on the go. We live for Bento Boxes. For those who don’t know what these are… they are really cool Tupperware containers. Bento boxes have great little compartments for small size portions and are easy to fill with these to go breakfast items.
Car Seat Savers are a must have too. They are really intended for you to use them to protect your seat from the car seat rubbing and indenting the seat permanently. However, they also protect from food and liquid spills. Just throw it in the wash and let it air dry and it’s good to go.
The other thing that is a must have for us in the car is those Car Seat Travel Tray. They keep breakfast on the lap and allow the kids to not have to hold everything the whole time. As a bonus, they are great for longer car trips for books, coloring, tablets, toys or whatever your little one is busy playing with that day.
Hopefully, these yummy breakfast ideas will make your mornings a little easier and healthier. Just because we’re in a hurry doesn’t mean we have an excuse not to eat well during the most important meal of the day. After all, if your little one is going to dream big they need the to fuel that brain and body for a full day ahead ( and so do you)!
Please share which is your favorite breakfast on the go and how you eat healthy with your kids on the go! I love to hear what works for all the mom’s out there! And as always, keep it up mommy you’re doing a great job!